Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

TOP OF PAWS WITH AREAS OF DRY SKIN THAT SHE IS CHEWING AND

Customer Question

TOP OF PAWS WITH AREAS OF DRY SKIN THAT SHE IS CHEWING AND LICKING ON CREATING A LARGE OPEN SORE ON TOP OF HER FRONT PAWS, I'D LIKE TO USE VITAMIN E OIL OR SUNFLOWER OIL SPARING ON HER PAWS. IS THIS SAFE
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: SOPHIE IS 6YRS OLD AND HAS SEEN HER VET REPEATEDLY FOR THIS PROBLEM. SOPHIE IA ON CYCLOSPORINE .OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTS AND ALLERGY PILLS, HER WT IS 40 LBS. I' LIKE TO SOOTH HER PAWS TONIGHT
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: SOPHIE
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about SOPHIE?
Customer: ALLERGIC TO GRASS/POLLENS
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Sophie!

Now in regards ***** ***** question, we certainly can use Vitamin E for her though oral/systemic treatment usually is better. Dose-wise, we can give small dogs 400IU daily and 800IU for larger breeds. Otherwise, you could choose to use a topical Vitamin E oil but be aware that you need to prevent her from licking this off since that would counter any benefits from it. So, if you do use a topical oil, make sure to cover her feet with socks or use an e-collar until it has fully absorbed and can do its job soothing her irritated skin.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**