Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

Have 6-7 week schnauzer puppy. Diagnosed with parvo

Customer Question

Have 6-7 week schnauzer puppy. Diagnosed with parvo yesterday. Was given an anti-nauseous shot fluids and antibiotics shot. He weighs around 1 lb. he got fluids today at noon, has had very little diarrhea just saw stools. Yesterday only spit up once after the diagnosis. Tonight he is not interested in eating food or drinking and when I do feed him or get him to drink he throws that is there anything I can do for the nausea now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since he hadn't gotten worse early today, vet had me give him dose of dewormer if he hadn't thrown up. Since giving it to him, he throws up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it ok to let him sleep or wake him & try to get him to eat & drink??
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Stout is being treated for parvovirus and you want to know what to give for his nausea and if you should wake him in order to eat and drink. Is that a correct summary?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We plan to go to our vet in am. He continues to spit up/throw up water like substance then whimpers. He didn't whimper yesterday until vet visit
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could also get him to eat last night & earlier today. Hasn't ate much with out gagging & water like throw up

You may have already noticed that your veterinarian has stronger anti-nausea medications than what can be found over-the-counter, but one of the better anti-nausea medications that you can easily purchase is Pepcid. The main priority for Stout is that you keep him hydrated without inducing nausea and vomiting. Food is important, but less of a priority, so I would recommend to not feed anything tonight if he is already appearing nauseous - or feed very small amounts. Giving small amounts of water (or Pedialyte for electrolytes) in a dropper will help to keep him hydrated and it can be titrated to be given in small amounts so as not to stimulate nausea. If possible, I would recommend to give Stout a Pepcid medication, wait 30 minutes and then start giving water through a syringe. Hopefully that will make him feel more comfortable by tomorrow.

I hope that answers your question. I will be standing by in case you have other questions. If you have no other questions then I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. I will be standing by if you need anything. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is pepcid safe for a puppy that weighs a pound?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He took a drink of water 20 minutes ago & threw it up 5 minutes ago

You want to limit the amount of water he drinks - literally, you are giving water by the drop (i.e. 0.25 - 0.5 milliliters at a time). Pepcid is definitely safe. His dose is only 0.25 mg, so a liquid version would be best. If a liquid is not available then you can make a liquid by combining a ground up tablet in water. If you are able to finely ground 1 tablet into 1 teaspoon of water (i.e. 5 milliliters) then you can give him 0.15 milliliters.