How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20712
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate some mouse poison. What do I do, Not sure of amount

Customer Question

Dog ate some mouse poison. What do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Not sure of amount or what kind of mouse poison
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: About 50lbs is the dog weight
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How minutes or hours ago } ?

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Waiting for your reply, but in the meantime ...

1. Best not take chances in this sort of situation, these rodent poisons can be very toxic to dogs. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the mouse poison that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet as there is a good antidote available for many types of rodent poison as well as other measures which can be taken.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the mouse poison incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.