Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My cavalier has had diahrria for the past 5 days, a 20 month

Customer Question

hi my cavalier has had diahrria for the past 5 days
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 20 month old 24 pound Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the King Charles spaniel?
Customer: he started with Diarrhea on Monday evening and completely stopped eating on Wednesday I have stied to give him rice and chicken
JA: What is the King Charles spaniel's name?
Customer: Charlie is taking only a few sips of water he sleeps but tries to be interactive and play with his toys when engaged
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Charlie. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: His stool is now just gelatinous globs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset this week. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). My primary concern is that Charlie is continuing to progress his symptoms despite you administering a bland diet of chicken and rice. I typically am inclined to treat at home for 12 hours to see if there is improvement but in this scenario I would consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later. This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

If you elect to treat at home tonight:

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait until tomorrow to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Reinstitue your bland diet of white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman