Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog has been throwing up this afternoon. and now it has

Customer Question

My dog has been throwing up this afternoon. and now it has been about an hour since the last throw up but he is out of now where super itchy and has bumps on his body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of and was with him most of the day
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Champ and he is 2
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Champ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Champ?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. I really am concerned that Champ ingested something he is having an anaphylactic reaction to. If you are able to administer benadryl 1 mg/ pound now and see if that helps with the bumps but it will cause mild sedation. If he does vomit this up as well please consider a veterinary er to give injectable benadryl and steroids to by pass the intestinal tract and prevent these symptoms from escalating or progressing tonight.

If he does response to the benadryl: Nothing else tonight orally except benadryl every 6 hours overnight. Not even water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

Again if there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control but also treat his symptoms of a reaction to something likely ingested

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above or the bumps are not subsiding, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Champ comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Champ to see how he is feeling today? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman