Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our border collie was hit by a car 3 days ago, we took her

Customer Question

HI pearl. our border collie was hit by a car 3 days ago, we took her straight to the vet and she was there for half an hour, he said she has a broken pelvis in three places and to just take her home and keep her quiet. She is on pain killers. I do not think that she has opened her bowels in that time and she drags herself on to the grass to wee. she is ten years old and has arthritis as well. the vet did not seem to be very helpful. and has not given any other instructins other than to keep an eye on her gums to ,make sure she did not bleed internally
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: missy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Border collie?
Customer: not really I am just worried about her bowels and her ability to heal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this accident with Missy. Is she still eating and drinking ok? Did they take x-rays to see the pelvic fractures?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Bruce, yes she is eating and drinking ok, they took xrays

That is great that she's eating and drinking ok! Did she have any fractures in the femurs or other bones besides the pelvis? I'll be honest and say that with some pelvic fractures, time / rest / pain management are needed to let them mend themselves. I've seen some pretty crushed pelvic regions that can heal by these things. Of course, there are those that have fractures that do need to be addressed with surgery. In the situation with Missy, you could always ask to have the radiographs reviewed by another veterinarian to have them give you their opinion of what may need to be done. It is good that she's eating and drinking as this hopefully indicates that everything internally is functioning as it should. A lot of times the stools will come when they are needed and not before. It can be more painful to have an abdominal press to get the stools out so she may just be holding out till it is really necessary.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no there where no other #'s that I know of

The areas of concern with pelvic fractures are big when the fractures involve the acetabular region - basically the area of the pelvis that articulates with the femoral head.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was not at the vet, so I am unsure of the area that was involved. My husband took her. He said the pelvis was broken on three areas, but as I as I said I am unsure of the areas. I may just ring him to find out I think,

Asking them to give you that information would be good.