Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has lymphoma stage 3 and is being treated with

Hi,My dog has lymphoma stage...
Hi,My dog has lymphoma stage 3 and is being treated with chemotherapy. I have modified her diet to a ketogenic raw diet after hearing that it can hault cancer in its tracks hopefully. She is doing well overall. This morning I took her and her brother on a walk and she seemed to be walking kind of wobbly and as if her hind legs were weak. What is going on here? Thanks in advance doc.
7/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Marley's ataxia ("drunken sailor") can indicate chemotherapy toxicity most often in the form of anemia or any number of major organ dysfunctions in a stage 3 patient. Whatever the cause, Marley needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Well doc she hasnt had chemo in about two weeks because her blood cell levels were low. Do you think this is still the problem/? I talked to the vet this morning and she said to just monitor Marley for the next few days, she is due to go in on Monday for bloodwork for chemo Tuesday if her levels are good. Meanwhile she was put on an antibioic for diarreah and vomiting and she told me to stop that for now because it could be causing the weakness. I dunno whatt to do doc?

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, it's possible that bone marrow toxicity has persisted. I'm not comfortable monitoring such a patient for a few days. I would err on the side of caution and have her rechecked today. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

doc you would want a recheck of her blood work? or somehting more?

Yes, a basic diagnostic panel including a complete blood count is indicated. It's best that she be fasted for at least 4 hours prior to the blood draw for the most accurate test results.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Doc I just spoke to a Vet on the phone, he said that marley's wobbling could be that it is in the bone marrow now indicating stage 5?

If neoplastic cells replace normal red blood cell precursors my patient will become profoundly anemic and weak. If neoplastic cells replace normal white blood cell precursors ny patient can't fight off infections effeciently and can become weak. I'm sorry for the delay. I was out hiking all day.

ok thanks alot doctor salkin! I will know what her blood work tells us in the morning.

You're quite welcome. Keep me posted, please.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marley. How is everything going?