Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His nose s bleeding at night no wounds can be found he is 3…

His nose s bleeding...

His nose s bleeding at night no wounds can be found he is 3 yrs old golden sheperd mixx

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Golden?

Had aa slight skin problem, but seems to gone noww

7/20/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned about your pup's nose bleeds.
Does his nose or snout look swollen at all?

Any history of dental disease?

Any possibility of exposure to rodent poisons?

Any history of ticks?
Is his gum color a nice bubblegum pink, or are they every pale/white? A nice pink color tells me his bleeding isn't a significant amount (at least yet).

Possible reasons for these symptoms are bacterial, fungal, tick borne or viral infections, a foreign body in the nose, a polyp or mass in the nose or a tooth root infection, or hypertension (high blood pressure). Rarely the cause is a clotting disorder or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides, but I would have expected him to have other symptoms of that including blood in his urine, bruising under the skin, and difficulty breathing due to blood in his chest. Dogs with a clotting disorder also tend to bleed equally from both sides of the nose. Is that the case with him?

Ticks can carry diseases which cause clotting deficiencies, so if ticks are a problem in your area then that is possible.

Sneezing and reverse sneezing are signs of nasal and pharyngeal irritation. Has he been sneezing too?
With nasal irritation we can also see a nasal discharge which can be yellow, white, green, mucoid or even bloody in character. In some cases with long term infections or a mass we can even see nasal bone destruction and swelling or changes in nose conformation or around the eye.

Diagnosis of a the problem behind these symptoms can be complicated. We may need to perform radiographs of the nose and sinuses looking for an infected tooth root(s), changes in the bones or full sinuses, nasal flushes and scoping to collect culture and biopsy specimens and sometimes blood titers to look for the infection (especially if we are suspicious of a fungal infection) or tick disease titers/testing.

Things that your veterinarian can do and get quick results include checking a complete blood count and biochemistry profile and measuring his blood pressure. If they have an in office test for some tick disease called the Snap 4DX you can have same day results for some tick borne diseases too.

If those tests come back normal then looking for a tooth root infection, a foreign body or polyp or tumor with a nasal scope and radiographs of his tooth roots, nose and sinuses under sedation would be recommended.

If you have lots of ticks in your area then a course of Doxycycline could be started too as a precaution as Doxycycline is good for tick borne and respiratory tract infections.

If his nose starts bleeding again to stop the bleeding you can apply a cold pack to the outside of his nose for 5-10 minutes at a time and try to calm him. You can also put a drop or two of Neo-Synephrine (phenylephrine) ONCE to try to get the bleeding to stop. If he continues bleeding steadily however he probably should be seen on an emergency basis.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian