Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Had seven throw up spots when I got home from work. 4 looked

like wet mushy food, 3...
had seven throw up spots when I got home from work. 4 looked like wet mushy food, 3 was clear liquid with a little foam. he isn't eating, seems pretty thirsty but about 10-20 minutes later he throws water back up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: i will be throwing my couch to the road in the morning.. i was at work so i cant say that for sure. i didn't notice anything in the vomit.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bo 7
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: bo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no hes always been relatively healthy
7/20/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he drinking more than usual?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Breed?

6- Any other symptoms?

1- yes he seems a little more thirsty than usual, he will throw up a little bit of the water after ten minutes or so along with a little bit of foam hanging from his mouth.
2. no
3. no
4.80-85 pounds
5. mix not exactly sure. lab/pit/weimaraner, something along those lines. Someone tied him to my shops gate when he was a puppy so i took him to the vet and home. Hes 7 now
6. he wont eat, i touched and pressed around on his stomach and throat to see if it was tender he didn't seem to have pain

1- Any abdominal swelling?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

1 no swelling
2 a deep pink

If you get a phone call request no need to accept. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

okay thank you

Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an active infection, pancreatitis, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The vomiting is secondary to what is causing him to drink excessively.

To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. Strongly recommend having him checked in the morning by your veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water but don't let him drink excessively. Leave him without food for 16-20 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Thank you very much for the follow up. I will definitely refer you and use you again if need be. I did what you said as far as no water and food. The next day I brought him to my shop with me and let him stay in the ac in the office.gave him small amount of water and a half serving of chicken and rice. He was fine all day, I fed him a full amount of chicken and rice that night he was fine. So I finished out the week with chicken and rice mixed with his purina dog food. Now he's back on straight purina, back to his happy self

Hello, I am happy to learn he is doing better. I would be very glad to help you with any future questions. Thank you for the update.

Have a great day!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian