Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not eating not sleeping slight shivering, French bulldog…

Not eating not sleeping...

Not eating not sleeping slight shivering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

French bulldog 6.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about French?

He always eats he is a big boy larger then normal French bulldog. Always sleeps a lot so this is not normal

7/19/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your French Bulldog boy who has been off color tonight. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a large number of possible causes for your boy's lack of sleep and shivering tonight, and we need to consider anything from an early gastroenteritis, to a toxicity, or even an internal organ issue. Whatever the case here, you are going to have to keep your boy warm, inside and comfortable tonight. Make sure you have plenty of fresh water available for him and encourage him to drink. Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If he doesn't settle in the next hour or two, or if any of the parameters above aren't right, then you are definitely best to play it safe and have him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Thank u taking him to emergency hospital I dont like his breathing

Good on you. All the best and I hope all is fine. Keep me posted!

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc