Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 80lb spayed female Weimaraner hurt her right front paw…

Customer Question
My 80lb spayed female Weimaraner...
My 80lb spayed female Weimaraner hurt her right front paw and the joint that connects to it yesterday while playing fetch and running. How much Tylenol can I give her until I can get her to the vet or is there another over-the-counter medicine that you recommend? Tramadol maybe?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Sylvie seems uncomfortable and is favoring her right front paw and carpal (wrist) joint.

I do not recommend wrapping her leg/foot. It is very easy for a wrap to slip and cut off circulation to her foot which would make things much worse. Wrapping the lower leg/foot really gives no support either. With a paw/wrist injury some sort of boot that supports her leg up to her elbow and takes all pressure off her wrist and paw would be needed.
Have you checked the whole leg thoroughly for any obvious sign of injury, or areas that appear swollen? Often the sore area is higher up on the leg, such as the shoulder or elbow.

Does she still want to walk and play, but then finds it hurts to do so?

Is she worse after rest or after moving around?

Is he able to bear weight on the leg, but just tries not to?

If she doesn't have any areas of obvious swelling or injury, and will bear some weight it is likely she has a soft tissue injury. It may be related to nerve root pain associated with the nerves coming off the neck spinal cord or a muscle pull high on her shoulder or neck.
The best thing for these is very strict rest. That means no running, jumping, chasing toys and very limited stairs. Those are things that tend to cause the most stress and pain and cause the injury to linger.
You can also alternate hot and cold compresses on her neck and shoulder muscles (or anywhere on the leg that she reacts to with palpation) for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. The hot compress decreases muscle spasms and tightening and the cold decreases inflammation.
I also recommend putting her food and water bowls up at shoulder height so she doesn't have to reach and strain herself to eat and drink, or put pressure on her front feet when she bends over.
Watch her for any signs of joint swelling, fever (rectal temperature higher than 103F), decreased appetite, bruising or worsening lameness.
Most dogs with soft tissue injuries should be much better in 3 to 4 days with very strict rest, but I would confine her for at least 2 to 3 weeks if she seems to improve with rest, and then slowly increase her activity level. Soft tissue injuries can take a while to heal.

If she remains painful in spite of strict rest and compresses then her veterinarian should re-examine her, and take radiographs of her neck and front leg, and can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication and pain medications.

I do not recommend Tylenol for dogs, it is not very good at reducing inflammation.

If she is miserable tonight and you cannot have her seen the only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in dogs is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.

The dose for aspirin is 5mgs to 10mgs per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one half of a 325mg aspirin for a 15 to 35 pound dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.

Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can give as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids. So in most cases I recommend waiting and seeing how she feels with strict rest and hot and cold compresses, then using anti-inflammatories prescribed by her veterinarian if need be.

Tramadol is great for pain, but has no anti-inflammatory effects. I will often use it with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. It is rarely effective alone for soft tissue/joint injuries. Tramadol can be dosed every 8-12 hours. A usual dose is 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight, but we can go as high as 4mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Tramadol is relatively bitter so if you choose to use it she may take it better hidden in a chunk of cheese or cream cheese, a bread ball or crushed and mixed with meat baby food.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

she still wants to walk and play and gets excited when she's supposed to. She is worse after resting, after moving around she usually just lays down. She can bear weight on the leg, as she's limping so she tries not to but she was able to jump on the bed today so it's more like she tries to avoid it but pushes through. I will keep her from running and jumping as long as possible but she is a Weimaraner so it may be tough. So how many ml of aspirin/ tramadol for her