Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 month old Rottweiler with a left limp and he was…

I have a 9 month...
I have a 9 month old Rottweiler with a left limp and he was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia via X-ray . The specialist said do the surgery and my vet said hold off. What is your opinion based on the X-rays? Do you see abnormality? How bad is it? Is surgery the only option and if so, is it better to do it earlier?
7/15/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your Rottweiler has elbow dysplasia. I am sorry but I do not see your X-rays here.

Ok can u see them now?

I have been told by experts that it is best to do surgery if the dog is still young. Without surgery, he will develop arthritis at an early age, and the front legs carry more weight especially in these large dogs. If he were mine, and he definitely has elbow dysplasia, I would be talking to a surgeon.

I just now see the files; they will take a moment to download.

I do see an area of concern in the left elbow. There are more pictures of the right elbow than the left.

If you let this go too long, once he gets painful arthritis, it will be too late for surgery to help. If this were my very own dog, I would talk to a joint specialist and I would be considering surgery.

Ok so u def see abnormality.
Well that makes me feel better about doing the surgery. We actually have it booked for Monday but we are so off and on about it.

I do see an area in the left elbow that looks abnormal and looks normal in the X-rays of the right one.

Please let me know how he is doing and if this was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer!

Thank u!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian