Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My cavachon has been diagnosed with food intolerance and

Customer Question

My cavachon has been diagnosed with food intolerance and been put on hypoallergenic food. She had a fair amount of those biscuits last night . Today she has mustard coloured stools and some of it quite loose. She has had nothing else other than her hypoallergenic food. She can have lighter poo sometimes, I just put it down to the colour of her biscuits, as they are light in colour. Could you offer any advice? Many thanks
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was her diet changed?

Was it a quick change or slow wean over to the new diet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It has been few months now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

Now if the diet has been stable for a few months, then its not likely related to the signs we are seeing, Instead this likely reflects a change in digestion. This is something we can see if they have a benign gut upset but also a hint of low grade bacterial or viral infection, worms, protozoal infections and in response to dietary indiscretions. In this case, we do want to keep an eye on this situation. As its a short term loosening, for the moment, we'd want to make sure she is up to date on worming and can use a bit of supportive care. Specifically, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. Of course, if this were to linger, then a stool sample should be submitted to her vet +/- have a check to look for those other concerns as we may need to treat any present to restore normal digestion and get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok I have just picked up all of her worm and flea products from the vets, so I will give those today. And asses the situation more after. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Perfect, do cover that base and hopefully if we use the above we can nip this in the bud for her.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry it's only me again, she is still going to the toilet. Would you say those white dots could be parasites? Or a grain from the food?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hi again,

They just look like grain and remember that it does take 24-48 hours for fecal material to move through the gut. So, it will take a day or so for her to respond to our treatments.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can't think what she has had to make her poorly, as the vet wanted her in a strict hypoallergenic diet. I did introduce sprats. As they were on the hypoallergenic list, so maybe they have reacted with her. I have ordered some pumpkin next day delivery as we live in a rural area so can not buy it. I will treat her for worms now and hopefully things will start to improve. Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

It is possible those didn't agree with her, but it is a case of taking this step-by-step to get her settled and find what works best for her.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.