Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 8 month old puppy has had stomach trouble for a week or

Hi there, our 8 month...
Hi there, our 8 month old puppy has had stomach trouble for a week or so. She has cow pat type poos and was unable to hold it in. So we fed her boiled chicken and rice and the gradually went back to normal but we're a bit yellow and had a bit of blood at times. This morning she has done a poo which is a bit black and tarry like soil. Not sure if this is relevant but she vomited a bit of bile one day in the week and she seems to have some sortbof conjunctivitis and is scratching a lot, despite having been treated for fleas. Thanks for your help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she did eat something in the back garden which looked like it could have come from another animal. We get foxes and cars in our garden
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cats* poppy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I don't think so
7/15/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color are the stools? Any mucus?

Has she eaten any dirt or have you given anything like Pepto Bismol?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

This morning her stool was a bit black and tarry looking but she has just done a brown cow pat type stool. Her stomach is fine to touch. Her gums look normal. She did eat a bit of plaster off the wall last week and something that looked like it had come from another animal. She also likes playing in the local river and sometimes drinks the water. She has not had any meds, she does play with sticks and chews them.

Hello again,

First, I must say that I am concerned about your lass. Though its good to hear that the stools are brown again.

The reason for my concern is because black stool usually is a sign of bleeding in the stomach or upper gut. As I am sure you can appreciate, that when we see this we do have to be concerned about something causing trauma or ulceration (ie foreign bodies, stomach ulcers, growths, etc). And if she chews odd sticks and plaster those could certainly hurt her gut.

Now since she has had a normal stool and her gums are pink, we'd want to try to reduce the loose stools but also start some stomach protective supportive care. Of course, any more black stool or any of those signs I asked about and we'd want her seen right away to be safe. Anyway, to protect her stomach (by reducing stomach acid), we can put her onto an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and plan to use it every 12 hours. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. You can also use Milk of Magnesia (after the antacid has absorbed) at a dose of 0.5-1 teaspoon every 8-12 hous. This will coat the stomach and help protect it.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

And if she is quite runny, we can also consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, her signs sound like more than one issue present. The cow pat stools suggest bacterial, viral, protozoal or parasitic issues. The black stool worries us about gut bleeding. So, do start the above to protect her stomach and reduce the looseness of her stools. As well, if Poppy isn't up to date on worming, that too would be a base to cover. But if those stools don't settle down with the above or we see any more black ones, then we'd want her checked at that point +/- a stool sample tested so we can target treatment to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you Dr B, we have been trying the chicken and rice and that seemed to clear it up but she's got worse again since I have started mixing in her kibble so I'll go back to chicken and rice. I will do what you have suggested with regards ***** ***** her stomach. And give it a few more days and go to the vet if it gets any worse. Last time antibiotics cleared it up it seems worse this time but I wanted to try a change in diet before I bothered the vet.
Thanks for your advice. Sarah

Hello again,

Yes, I had seen that (apologies my brain was on the black stool). Anyway, if it is lingering despite a light diet that usually does suggest an active issue like those I noted and makes more benign upset less likely. Still we can cover those bases and see if we can get her more settled but otherwise a check up would be ideal once her vet is open.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Hi Dr B,I've taken her to the vet. She has a temperature and has been given antibiotics and supplements to help her absorb nutrients and prevent diarrhoea.Thanks for your help
Sarah
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian