Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is throwing up nonstop and can't control where she's

Customer Question
hi, my dog is throwing...
hi, my dog is throwing up nonstop and can't control where she's pooping and when she does poop, it's bright red do you know what's causing this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think she did - we usually give her human food from time to time but for about a week or two we stopped because she had bad diarrhea and now this is happening
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she's 8 or 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: she just threw up right now, transparent liquid
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Do you mean the vomit or the diarrhea looks red? Is it bloody?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

She's been showing signs for a week now (esp gooey, reddish diarrhea) but throwing up started today. The diarrhea looks red and it is bloody. She can't keep water down - she just threw up the water she drank. She's not up to date on her vaccines and I don't think she ate anything harmful but I do clean my floors with the 'Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner'. Her gums are light pink and when I press her belly she doesn't really give a reaction
Other than that, she's lively and acts like nothing's wrong - she's running around

Oh dear,

Now I share your concern about Chloe.

The 409 shouldn't be causing this but to see profusely bloody stool and vomiting in a dog not up to date on vaccines raises worries of Parvo. As well, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, parasite infections (coccidia, Giardia, etc), stomach ulcers, bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc) and when they have eaten something that is causing harm to the gut (which may be less likely if she hasn't ingested anything harmful in the past 24 hours) could also appear this way.

In regards ***** ***** we need to be proactive here. To start, we need to try to counter that nausea. To do so, you can try an OTC antacid like Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet ( http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet), or Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Typically, this is given 30 minutes before food to be absorbed and in effect before offering food. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And if we cannot get her to keep that down or she keeps vomiting, that is a red flag that we need her local vet to treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication/

If we can get her settled with that, you can then try her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients into her. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further reduce the level of nausea she may be experiencing and also aid her gut absorbing this to reduce her diarrhea.

Since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate our dogs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).

Finally, while it is always tempting, I do want to note that we need to avoid anti-diarrheal treatment until her vet diagnoses the cause for this diarrhea. The reason is because slowing gut passage of stool is actually contraindicated for those viruses and bacteria (since slowing down gut transit would give them a better chance to grow or secrete toxins in the gut). Therefore, we'd want to get her stomach settled and use the light diet to reduce how much diarrhea she needs to pass until her vet can diagnose this and start her on further treatment (ie antibiotics). As well, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) would be safe to be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Overall, I do share your concern about Chloe. And if tis has been going on for a week, this is getting quite worrisome for her. So, start the above now and make sure she is wormed as well. But if this lingers, then we'd want to have her seen as soon as we can by the local vet. If possible, do bring a fresh stool sample (or at least a photo) so they can see what is passing +/- test if need be. Depending on which of the above is present, they hopefully will just need to start her on antibiotics to settle this and get her feeling better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian