Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy got up in middle of the night and threw up. I realized

Puppy got up in middle of the night and threw up. I realized that she had also pee'd in the spot she was sleeping. Now she is super wobbly and lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: She is 4 month old and has been extremely healthy. This came on suddenly.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What did her vomit look like?

Was it a lot of urine? Darker or watery compared to usual?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her vomit was thick. It was about 2:30 a.m. so I didn't analyze it closely. This was also before I realized how she was behaving.
Seemed like a lot if urine. Not dark.
I've been trying to get her to drink, but she hasn't yet. Although she did eat.
Gums look normal and moist.
Belly doesn't seem tender.
It is possible that she could've eaten something. She seems to get into everything in the yard. But it's been bark and sticks and grass usually. I don't believe that she has eaten any of her toys.
No diahrrea.

Hello again,

Now with her being so young, we do need to tread with care. Especially as her vomiting raises worries of bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Though if the urine looked normal, we'd just keep an eye on that since sometimes they do lose bladder control with the force of vomiting.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

As we let that kick in, since she is wobbly/weak (usually a sign of a blood sugar crash with vomiting), we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us. After, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for such a little one, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here and given how young she is we do need to be careful. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I tried to get her to drink, she was acting like she was hungry so I gave her some food. She ate it all and has been keeping it down fine. She's sleeping now, but again, has just been so lethargic. She definitely isn't dehydrated and with the fact that she just ate, I'm not sure the likelihood of a blood sugar issue.
We'll watch her closely and take her to her vet first thing in the morning.
Thank you.

Hello again,

I am glad to see she did take some food and isn't dehydrated; but the blood sugar is still a concern (otherwise toxins would be and we'd need her seen ASAP). So, I'd still treat for it especially as bacterial agents siphon sugar from the body even when they eat while using the above to settle her nausea. And otherwise that sounds like a good plan once her vet is open since these wee young ones are so delicate.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Will do. I appreciate your help.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the follow up, Dr. B. Hurley is doing much better. We consulted with her vet once they opened that morning and it looks like she had a seizure. We are keeping an eye on things and plan to put together a course of action if/when this happens again. For now she is back to her normal, crazy-puppy self!April