Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a male 5 year old labradoodle, he is behaving

Customer Question

Hi My dog is a male 5 year old labradoodle
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your Labradoodle?
Customer: he is behaving normally, eating and drinking normally but his smell has changed. I think its his breath and urine
JA: What is the Labradoodle's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: We have a plum tree in the garden and we have seen him eat a few plums. We know that the pits are dangerous and we have seen them pass through him whole. We are trying to stop him from eating them but we are wondering whether this could be the cause of his foul breath and urine which has occurred we think since he has been caught eating them
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does Max's breath smell like? Pus, ammonia, almondy, sweet?

Any tarter on his teeth?

Any coughing or breathing changes?

Is the urine problem just odor as well?

Is the urine darker? Is he going more often?

Does he pass large or small volumes of urine?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he does'nt appear to have tartar. No breathing changes. We would probably say garbage like breath but we dont think he's been at the garbage. He did just pee in an odd place. His aim was off and he missed the flower bed and peed on the patio? Wouldnt say he was going more often but it did smell quite strong
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello again,

First, it does sound like we have 2 different issues here with Max.

With the urination, if he is going more often and it is quite odorous then that supports a bacterial bladder infection. Therefore, we'd want to consider having him seen for that as we do tend to need antibiotics to clear those and prevent spread to the kidneys. Of course, any delay and we'd want to increase his fluid intake to dilute that urine and reduce the irritation it will be causing the bladder.

Otherwise, if he has breath that smells like that but doesn't have any tarter, then we'd be most concerned about odor from the stomach. This could be indirectly related to the fruit, especially if he is eating the pits as those could delay stomach emptying which in turn would let the fruit become rancid in the gut. So for that, we'd want to think about restricting his access to the garden (or just on the lead/supervised when out there) for the next few days to just prevent him having any more plums. As we do that, we can try to reduce stomach odor by treating with OTC activated charcoal (250-500 mg every 12-24 hours) as this will bind odor and toxins. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) can be added to these meals to just push any pits through the gut and probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) will support digestion which in turn can also help with the odor. As well, if he is a bit unsettled at all, we could also consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, it does sound like Max has 2 different issues ongoing. The bladder one is more of a worry at the moment. Therefore, a urine check +/- antibiotics would be indicated for that. Otherwise, we'd want to use the above to counter odor and give the gut a break to pass any plum pits in transit but to see if we can reduce these signs generally for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.