Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

He ate a piece of my grapefruit. It was about a nickle size.

Customer Question

He ate a piece of my grapefruit. It was about a nickle size. Should i give gimr activated charcoal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He is a schnauzer poodle mix. 10 months 15 pounds
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the schnauzer will be able to digest that. What is the schnauzer's name?
Customer: Prince
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: No, i dont think so
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 12 days ago.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Grapefruit toxicities in dogs may result in vomiting / diarrhea, lethargy (secondary to the GI effects), and a photosensitive dermatitis.

Here is a helpful link you can read that goes into more detail: https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/grapefruit-poisoning

A small amount like that might cause some clinical signs given his young age and small size. Since it sounds like you have activated charcoal, yes I would suggest you administer it. Past that, monitor closely for vomiting, diarrhea, or any changes to his skin, and seek evaluation by your local veterinarian should any signs of toxicity develop.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck