Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10-month old Beagle just came into 'heat' for the first

Customer Question

My 10-month old Beagle just came into 'heat' for the first time. I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but she's chewed the fur at the base of her tail, and on the tail, itself, until she has near-bald spots. She's also very clingy, to me, in particular, cries a lot, and is refusing to go outside for walks. We've tried washing her in medicated anti-itch shampoo, but it doesnt seem to work.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Beagle's name?
Customer: Maggie.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: Nothing I can think of, specifically.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
she doesnt appear to have fleas.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

Even though she doesn't have visible fleas, what flea treatment do you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.