Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Mama dog has 10 puppies. she was found to have worms in her

Customer Question

mama dog has 10 puppies. she was found to have worms in her stool as she's had diareha for a week or so. Looked like rice. got some de wormer today and gave her two tablets. shes vomiting now but still drinking water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: shes not a puppy, she has 10. shes the momma
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: lakota
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lakota?
Customer: the type of de wormer i gave her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she took the sentry wormxplus 7 way de wormer.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. That wormer contains praziquantel which is the wormer of choice for the tapeworms you saw in her stool. Vomiting and diarrhea in these nursing pups usually indicates the gastrointestinal distress and/or infection associated with keeping them clean by licking them. Intestinal parasites do become more active at this time as well and so reworming Lakota in 2-3 weeks and all of the puppies at 2 weeks of age and then every 2 weeks thereafter is prudent. If worming doesn't correct Lakota's distress, her vet is likely to prescribe a systemic antibiotic for Lakota safe for use for nursing pups. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.