Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She was recently diagnosed with lymphoma and leukemia. At

Customer Question
that time her eye was...
She was recently diagnosed with lymphoma and leukemia. At that time her eye was bleeding, her plateletts were low and she had some other slight bleeding problems. The vet put her on prednisone and that helped a lot, her energy picked up and the bleeding stopped and her eye cleared up. Then we saw an oncologist, we had to wait about 2 weeks after she was put on the prednisone. The oncologist said her plateletts are a lot better since being on the prednisone but still low. She ordered some pill form Chemotherapy and now we are just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: But today, I was at work, my husband was home, she couldn't get up. She also has degenerative mylopathy and ARVC. She's a boxer. She can still walk but her legs are getting worse and worse, she falls on her butt a lot. Anyway, she couldn't get up at all and he said she seemed to be having a hard time breathing and shaking
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

My initial thought is that performing chemotherapy on a dog in the advanced stages of degenerative myelopathy is neither the standard of care nor kind. The protocols for chemotherapy extend over quite some time and even if effective, if my patient isn't ambulatory at the end of therapy I can't see the benefit.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian