Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Ate glade carpet freshener, Snoopy is 6, No

Customer Question

Ate glade carpet freshener
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snoopy is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snoopy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 days ago.

Can you give me an idea of how much Snoopy weighs and how much of the freshener was ingested? Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Maybe tablespoon he is vomiting
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No call help please
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 days ago.

How much does Snoopy weigh?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 days ago.

The main ingredient is sodium slicoaluminate and it is not harmful. If he ate pieces of the plastic container that are not big enough to get through his digestive tract that would be the only harmful aspect.

So do not worry about the Glade, fortunately it is harmless but as you are seeing it may cause gi upset that we need to address tonight.

First, please remove the water. Since there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting now the glade is out of his stomach. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Snoopy comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 days ago.

I am online another 20 minutes tonight if you have any additional questions

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Snoopy? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!