Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has thrown up 3x in the last 18-hours, is not as energetic as usual and won't eat. Her throw up is yellow and foamy.

She has thrown up 3x...
She has thrown up 3x in the last 18-hours, is not as energetic as usual and won't eat. Her throw up is yellow and foamy. She did not eat breakfast. I made her chicken and rice for dinner and she won't eat it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of, but she does like to eat things she finds outside. She is 15-months old and 18 pounds.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maggie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: I don't think so. She's usually fairly energetic and a good water. Eater not water
She doesn't seem to want to stay in one position too long.
7/15/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does she seem in pain? Any diarrhea?

She does not seem to be in pain
No diarrhea--no bowel moment today

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she wanting to drink any water? If she has a habit of eating things out side a couple of things I would be worried about that could be causing the vomiting. One would be if she ate something that has irritated her stomach and is causing her to vomit. The other is if she has some type of obstruction in her intestines. If she continues to vomit and refuse food, you probably want to take her to the vet to get some x-rays done to rule out anything serious.

She did drink some water about two hours ago but not since.

Did she keep the water down or did she vomit it up ?

She threw up about 30 minutes ago. I did manage to give her a small dog treat about an hour before she threw up.

Okay I would avoid trying to give her anything else by mouth because it probably is making her more nauseous. But if she continues to vomit despite not having anything to eat or drink then I would recommend taking her to an emergency veterinarian to be evaluated.

If she doesn't vomit before bedtime, do you think it's ok to wait til morning to take her to vet or would you recommend going soon regardless?

If you have a vet available I would recommend trying to take her in tonight just in case it is something serious since she is not keeping any food down at all. Otherwise I would go the very first thing in the morning.

Ok, thsnks

You are welcome. Wishing the best for Maggie. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian