Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

There's a lump on her there's a lump on her leg and I want

Customer Question

There's a lump on her there's a lump on her leg and I want to know if I should pick it to see if fluid would come out because it's so big
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: The lump is spongy and it seems like it's really tight and she can barely walk and I just want to relieve the pressure
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has the lump been there for?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She hurt her home leg 8mos ago there was a small lumped that developed the vet gave me antibiotics for her a week but no change the lump has gotten to the size of a lime and cause her pain to walk she is 80lbs a English terrier. The lump is large and spongy not a solid hard mass. It has gotten big and tight. Can I prick it to relieve pressure

Thanks for the additional information . How did she hurt the leg? It is not recommended that you prick the mass because there is a chance that it can get infected. By placing a needle in the mass you may introduce bacteria in the area which could lead to a bigger issue.

You can try to apply a warm compress on the area to see if it helps to shrink it . But otherwise the pressure would have to be relieved in a sterile manner to avoid an infection

Let me know if you have any other questions