Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has had a little diarrhea for the last week. She's

Customer Question

My dog has had a little diarrhea for the last week. She's been eating and drinking OK until today. I do need to get a refill of her heartworm meds online, but other than that she has her vaccinations. What could the diarrhea be from? Could the heat have something to do with it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Has can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Has?
Customer: She is a ShitZhu and is about 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Has?
Customer: My husband died a few months ago, and she had been very sad. They were best friends
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Any other symptoms besides diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About 12 pounds
Yes, a little.
A little lethargic today, but has been fine (other than diarrhea) until today. However, it was also almost 90 degree and overly humid

I am confused, she did vomit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a little vomit about 3 times between 9pm last night until today at 6pm

If you get a phone call request no need to accept. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I'd rather just stick to online at the time.

I am sorry about the loss of your husband.

In response to your question, diarrhea and vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. This is not caused by the warm weather. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian, fecal analysis, and blood work as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting or diarrhea, the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter