Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Our Golden is 11 years old and it is very hot in NC today.

Hi our Golden is 11 years old and it is very hot in NC today. My son checked on him multiple times today. The last time he was not able to stand - seems to be in back and legs. He does not have pain and no bite marks, etc. He seems very tired and sad. My son brought him in the house to cool him. His nose is cold but he is not responding well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Golden. What is the Golden's name?
Customer: Shuffy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Golden?
Customer: He had water throughout the day but does not like his crate and works very hard to get out anytime he is crated. I am concerned about heat exhaustion possibly. Our vet is closed with no emergency vet service in the area.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When you say he is not responding well what is he doing? Can you take his temperature with a thermometer? What color are his gums? What area of NC are you in? I know of a bunch of emergency vets in and near NC.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He seems very tired, can't hold head up for long and still can't stand/walk. Don't have a thermometer but nose is very cool. Gums seem normal. Located 45 minutes from Fayetteville, NC.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you receive my responses?

Animal Urgent Care

Address: 3635 Sycamore Dairy Rd # 201, Fayetteville, NC 28303

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

It is hard to tell the temperature by the nose. But you can sort of tell by feeling his skin if he is hot.

You could bathe him in slightly cool water.

Buy a syringe and children's pedialyte drink. Children's pedialyte drink works better for hydration then water and gastorade.

After his bath put a fan on him.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has a very thick coat and is war to the touch
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will try bath and pedialyte. Thank you

If you can buy a thermometer you can take his temperature. Put a little ky jelly or vaseline on the tip of the thermometer. Insert into the rectum about an inch. Normal for a dog is 100-102.5 F. If he has a fever then cool him down with the baths and fan.

If his temperature is normal then the heat may have stressed another problem besides heat exhaustion to flare up.

So if he does not have a fever with the thermometer or he continues to be very lethargic and weak he needs to see the emergency vet.

I live about 2 hours from you. It is insanely hot here as well. I had to hose down a lot of animals today.

You can also rub some honey, karo syrup, or pancake syrup on his gums to increase his blood sugar in case it is low.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We need to get Shuffy cut to help with overheating. It is very hot and we should have hosed him down today.

Monitor his gums color as well. If his gums become brick red, pale, purple, or blue he may be in shock and need emergency treatment.

Yes a hair cut is a really good idea.

Tomorrow is suppose to be very hot again. Maybe force him to stay inside until Sunday.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will try honey now.

Okay great. Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions.

He should perk up with the honey, water bath, fan, and pedialyte if it is heat related.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you - will take him to emergency vet in Fayetteville or to his vet first thing in the morning

You are very welcome : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Shuffle is much improved!! He made it through the night. Saturday we took him to our regular vet. He is being treated for the following: lime disease, 2 different types of intestinal worms and arthritis. The most concerning diagnosis is heart worms. We are considering the treatment. Vet said once he recovers from the heat exhaustion, worms, lime disease he should be able to tolerate the treatment better. We will have to return him to being in an enclosed pen and we are considering it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, Shuffy (typo)

Holy moly he has a lot going on. I am glad to hear is feeling better. I hope the treatment goes well.