Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am desperate. My bearded collie has a skin rash all over

Customer Question

I am desperate. My bearded collie has a skin rash all over her body. She does not seem to be itchy though. It smells and we've tried the prednisone. Many times her ears get infected as well. Can I give her AZO yeast tablets to help control the yeast. I had all her hair shaved and she's red all over.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the beard collie's name and age?
Customer: Mini is her name. She's 10 years old. She takes the flea pill comforts every month as it was the only thing that worked for her. Before that none of the topical could touch the constant ticks. Now she's been tick free for years thank God.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mini?
Customer: She's not itching. The skin is just puffy and red. She's eating drinking well and her stools are fine as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Prednisone is a steroid and will not address the yeast infection or possibly a secondary bacterial infection that Mini may have.

Has Mini had a skin cytology done and a skin scraping by your regular veterinarian to confirm the infection and to check for skin mites?

Do you have any medicated shampoo for her?