Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 5 year old husky. This is the second time in the

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old husky. This is the second time in the past month that he has developed diarrhea, frequent urination and excessive panting. He has had it for a week so far this time. The last time I went 48 hours without feeding him and it seemed to clear up but this time it has not. He looks very thin lately as well. His breath is also really stinks..not sure if this is a symptom of what he has since his prior owner did not take care of his teeth as needed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maverick.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maverick?
Customer: He has eaten the same food for two years now so no change in diet.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

1- Are you not feeding him now?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Any blood in the stool?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I went 48 hours without feeding him then fed him again yesterday and all symptoms continued. He has vomited a couple of times. No blood in his stool.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response I had some technical problems at this end. In response to your question, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If he is not getting better after fasting I would recommend a hands-on examination with a veterinarian for a fecal analysis, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter