Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a puppy along with her 2 brothers still recovering

Customer Question

I have a puppy along with her 2 brothers still recovering from Parvo. Symptoms started 7/5 and diagnosed on 7/7 and she (not her brother I did home care for them) was hospitalized for 4 days. She has been up and playful at times but yesterday and today is lethargic. She is receiving subQ fluids and is eating soft foods pretty well with very little vomiting. She seems bloated and just wants to lay down after eating. She also had aspiration pneumonia when she entered the hospital and is still on antibiotics at home. I'm worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: She seems to be hydrated. Gave subQ fluids this am and ate Royal Canin Recovery at 6am and she ate soft egg with chicken pieces and broth at 10. Put some Karo syrup on her gums. Bowel movement today ? Bowels have been pudding and firm at different times over last few days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Aaron

Please let me know when you're available to talk about your dog.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

I can definitely understand your concern.

When was the last time your puppy vomited?

How often is she eating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She seems to be hydrated. Gave subQ fluids this am and ate Royal Canin Recovery at 6am and she ate soft egg with chicken pieces and broth at 10. Put some Karo syrup on her gums. Bowel movement today ? Bowels have been pudding and firm at different times over last few days. She vomited yesterday.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Is your biggest concern the fact that she is lethargic today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That and the fact that her tummy appears so round and bloated on a thin puppy.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Has your puppy been dewormed? Have they checked a fecal (check for intestinal parasites?)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was wormed once the day she started showing symptoms of parvo. only once because she has parvo, was hospitalized and her intestines/bowls are so fragile now. She is a rescue puppy.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Be right back.

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Sorry about that. My computer has a mind of its own sometimes.

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

I can definitely understand your concern with your puppy.

Parvo is a difficult disease to treat. Because it is a virus, you can only treat symptomatically/prophylactically until the patient's body takes care of the virus.

The most often things with a puppy being treated for parvo is that it is getting nutrition, remains hydrated, and is on antibiotics.

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

often should be important above

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

You are doing all the right things.

Parvo puppy treatments are often like roller coasters with ups and down.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about some sluggishness if your puppy is well hydrated, eating and on antibiotics.

Often times we just have to stay the course. There isn't much else that can be done.

The distended abdomen can be 'normal'/common for a puppy..sometimes it is secondary to intestinal parasites..sounds like proper precautions have already been taken with a dewormer.

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

What else can I help you with this afternoon?

If you have any further questions feel free to ask them at anytime. It is important to me that you are satisfied. Once you are satisfied I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time.

Take care!
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Take care!

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

Its important to me that you're satisfied. If you don't have any further questions and you're satisfied I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time.

Take care!

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 months ago.

I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I can be paid for my time.

Without a positive rating justanswer.com keeps the entire amount you paid.

Feel free to ask any questions that I may be able to help you with..have a good night!

I hope the puppies are doing well.