Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate a bar of dial soap; I gave him 1/4 cup of

hydrogen peroxide JA: I'm sorry to...
my dog just ate a bar of dial soap; I gave him 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he has not thrown up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No he's 10 months old totally healthy but will eat anything
7/14/2017
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I am Dr. Beatty and am happy to help you today. How much does your dog weigh? Has he thrown up yet? Did he eat the bar whole or chew it up?

How long ago did he eat it?

50# ***** month old puppy who will eat anything so far o throwing up
15 minutes ago

Please give him a 1-2 slices of bread and repeat the dose of hydrogen peroxide. Please make sure you are using hydrogen peroxide that you would use to clean a wound and that it is not expired.

Thx

Then take him outside and run him around. If he vomits, please make sure he does not eat it again! :)

Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Dog Veterinarian

I will leave you some more information that you can look at when you are done with the vomiting.

If he does not vomit I would not get overly worried about this especially if you think he chewed it up before he ate it. If he ate a big chunk of it there is a chance he could get obstructed if it does not pass through. Signs of obstruction would be lethargy, repeated vomiting, no stool production, no appetite. If you see these signs you should check in with your local veterinarian. Assuming he chewed it well and that it all passes through, you might expect him to feel poorly for a few days as the soap passes through his GI tract. He might vomit once or twice and possibly have some loose stool for a few days. If this happens it should resolve on its own over a day or two as the soap passes through his system. If it lasts more than a day or two or if he seems like he's really feeling bad or if he is not eating/drinking, you should touch base with your local veterinarian. If you have any additional questions or concerns, you can follow up with me on this thread even once you have accepted and rated my help. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! Dr. Beatty

-------

Normal.dotm
0
0
1
60
346
Self Employed
2
1
424
12.0
0
false
18 pt
18 pt
0
0
false
false
false/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}Thanks for trusting me with your questions. If the information I have provided has been helpful to you, please take the time to rate my help positively. It is valuable feedback for me and for other clients who are seeking help for their pets. It is also how the site compensates the experts for their time spent on their cases. Keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any website or interface issues.

Sorry for all the weird "extras" at the end of the last message. Not sure what that is about....Dr. Beatty

How's it going? Any vomit?

How's your dog doing? Dr. Beatty

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Dog Veterinarian