Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Loose stools and I saw a couple of tiny rice size worms in

his stool. Good appetite...
Loose stools and I saw a couple of tiny rice size worms in his stool. Good appetite and no vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Belgian Malinois
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the malinois eat anything unusual?
Customer: They like to catch moles/mice in the yard. We live in the country.
JA: What is the malinois's name and age?
Customer: Apache 19 months
JA: What is the malinois's name?
Customer: Apache
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Apache?
Customer: No he is otherwise healthy.
7/14/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools with potential tapeworms (rice-like). The tapeworms can be treated by your veterinarian but you can also get panacur (fenbendazole) online as well now to treat this. Often your veterinarian will be your best bet because you can start treatment right away

As for the associated diarrhea, I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract outside the worms but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you so much!

You are very welcome

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Apache to see how things were going and if you were able to get the right medication to treat tapeworms? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian