Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

A small dog wandered onto our property and my large dog

Customer Question

A small dog wandered onto our property and my large dog attacked it. The poor thing ran under my house afterward and we thought for sure it was dead, but it's not. His throat is swollen, the collar caked in blood and tight on him. I can't get to him to cut it off. My question is, do you think the swelling will go down from the bite and the dog be able to eat/drink again? I cannot get to the thing to take it to a vet. :( I've tried and tried.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: It was, initially. The attack was two days ago. There is still a bit of fresh blood by the fur around the collar. It's not bleeding profusely. I am afraid that if the collar is cut, it will bleed out. I have no medical reasoning for having that theory, just an assumption.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nothing, other than the first day after the attack he barely moved and today he is up walking around under the house, wagging his tail...the only thing wrong with him is his bloody, swollen throat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Do you live in an area where there is an animal control or humane society?