Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My mini schnauzer ate about 15 no bake cookies while I was

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer ate about 15 no bake cookies while I was out. I just want to make sure he will be okay, I have given him water and watched him. He has not vomited or had any other symptoms. It's hard to know if he is lethargic because it's bed time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He's about 20 lbs maybe a little less
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please? As long as the artificial sugar xyiltol isn't in the ingredient list of those cookies, there's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but he should remain safe. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is still acting fine, just a tight stomach. and it was made with cocoa powder.

Thank you for the update. The theobromine in cocoa powder can become troublesome if more than 1/16 of an ounce of cocoa powder per pound of body weight is ingested. Vomiting, agitation, and tremors are seen at that dose soon after ingestion. It doesn't sound as if that dose was exceeded if he's still acting well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is great. Thank you

That you for the good update. I'm sorry for the delay. I've been offline moving between residences.