Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an older dog who has been vomiting for a couple of

days, had already stopped eating...
I have an older dog who has been vomiting for a couple of days, had already stopped eating before that began, and now is suffering head tremors. The only thing out of the ordinary that she has eaten is some grass. I have been using Amdro for the ants in the backyard, and this dog is extremely chemical-sensitive: I had to stop using Advantage on her because every time I did, those head tremors would start up! But ONLY then. Vet says "colitis" from "something she ate", but I think it is something more. I know her habits, and she has NOT been chewing on sticks and leaves and rocks, as they assume! This has been going on for over 2 wks, and she is on Flagyl and special food (which I have to give her by syringe, because she won't eat ANYTHING, and will only drink water if I bring it to her), and some innocuous med to settle her stomach.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shortcake, age 10.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shortcake.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She weighs 30 lbs; she often appears to be in pain, and she has removed herself from the company of myself and the other dogs, voluntarily. She has always been very healthy. Never had a problem like this-- never had her eating grass from an Amdro treated yard, either. :-(
Answered in 1 day by:
7/15/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago did you use the Amdro?

Did her vet see her for this? What tests were done and any other treatments besides Flagyl?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Does she seem sore with her mouth or breathing heavier?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

First she stopped eating, then she vomited everything up for a couple of days... she was thirsty and would drink, then throw up all the liquid, altho she never became SEVERELY dehydrated. Then the head tremors started. Vet did bloodwork and a fecal, both normal/neg. BUN was a little high, but he wasn't concerned. She has had head tremors before, after having a topical flea med (Advantage) applied. As for the Amdro: I use it sparingly whenever an anthill pops up, and there have been several in the fenced area. I've only been here for 2 month.
At her worst there was rapid breathing and what seemed to be generalized pain. She didn't respond to any one spot. This dog is very stoic, and here gums are mostly black so it's hard to tell, but what I could see seemed o be pink, normal.
She has been getting into the cat food: dry and canned.
She has eaten a little grass-- no other foreign matter.
The only other treatment was a kaolin/pectin mix to soothe her stomach, and some special intestinal food we mixed and syringed into her at her worst. (She is better now, but NOT back to normal yet) I'm mainly concerned about the Amdro, since that will be an ongoing thing.
No temp.

Hello again,

Now I share your concern about Shortcake. Appetite loss and vomiting both are nausea signs. So, they are interlinked and while colitis could cause them, we can also see these with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, and with harmful ingestions. Furthermore, if she has head tremors and breathing elevation then brain effects from toxins (like the Amdro) or brain lesions (bleeds, inflammation, infection, tumors) are also a worry here. And while I appreciate her vet wasn't worried, if the BUN was up that could actually a concern. To see it with the creatinine up as well would raise worries of kidney disease (which can cause nausea as well as affect the brain) but if it was up alone then stomach ulcers (which would be painful and cause GI upset/appetite loss too).

With all this in mind, if she isn't 100%, then we'd want her vet to reassess her or at least ring them. Ideally we'd want her on an anti-nausea/gastroprotectants treatment (ie Sucralfate, or using an anti-nausea/antacid combination) to protect her stomach. As well, appetite stimulants would be ideal here as well. Otherwise, do keep up on the syringe feeding. Or you can try tempting with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Furthermore, if she is painful then we'd really want them covering that base with a gut safe pain relief (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine, etc) +/- anti-inflammatory if we can get her gut more settled as pain will just make things worse for her (and withdrawal is common with it).

Overall, the duration of this makes the Amdro less suspect but it could have triggered her signs. That said, I am concerned to hear that BUN is up and also with the head tremors we have brain based lesions to consider as well. So, it sounds like you have made a good start but that we need her vet to adjust treatment to see if we can get her more settled and back to eating properly on her own.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

This morning she bounced up and ate a little Pedigree canned dog food and went to the door to go outside, neither of which she has done in a while! I had Tramadol when she was hurting, but didn't know if I should give it with gastro symptoms... Honestly, I didn't get to look at the test results: he sort of waved them in front of me and told me they were good, and that anything that was out of range was explainable (dehydration, blood in her stool-- did I mention that?)... he only mentioned the BUN, but even in that glimpse I saw THREE redlined items, so when I am back over there, I will ask for a copy of the results for myself! This is a new vet, but well-recommended... and he seemed OK. Believe me, I've dealt with all kinds of vets over the years, and I'll give this one a chance for now, lol. She seems well on her way to full recovery now, after a lengthy illness. (I blindly ignored the first week or so, making excuses for her behavior) :-( I guess my current concern is the head tremors (which are not present today-- so far) and whether they are related to some toxin. I have 9 adult dogs, and I foster adults (and currently puppies), and I don't want anyone else suffering if it is something in the environment. At the time she became ill, 2 more of the dogs had audibly gurgly stomachs, but they didn't stop eating or fall ill. Today I have a Pit puppy who has been chewing on and eating sticks, and vomiting them up-- I'm going to have to watch or confine him-- but she doesn't do that. Grass is her only occasional vice, and I think that's just when she feels badly. I'm going to call the manufacturer of Amdro and see what their lawyers allow them to say, lol. BTW: I didn't have chicken, but I cooked some ground beef and mixed with rice, and she wouldn't touch it. The first food she showed an interest in was a Fancy Feast broth I was opening for my cat... full of seafood and vegetables. That stimulated her appetite! Any further advice or comments concerning the Amdro, or any other toxin that might cause problems? Or would colitis or even a tumor be likely to cause the head tremors? I would love to know what's behind those...

Hello again,

That is a shame he didn't show you or give you a copy, so do ask for one so you can see exactly the situation on the bloodwork front for Shortcake. Anyway, its good to hear that she has had a better day and the Tramadol can be used here. Otherwise a bit of cat food is fine if we can get her eating and again with the head tremors the colitis suspicion just doesn't fit. So, we'd need to consider that we may have a toxicity (and the company should be able to report clinical signs seen with it) but also brain lesions are a concern here with those head tremors.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thanks! Brain lesions seem unlikely with the length of time between episodes: first one was years ago, all of them coincided with flea treatment application, and ceased when I quit using it on her, so I'm leaning toward a toxic substance... Did I mention that we THINK she is a Puggle, or something similar. I don't know what special sensitivities Pugs have, but I know Beagles can be "delicate", lol. Thank you for your help! She isn't presently in pain, so we'll go medicine-free for now. :-) My old vet just emailed and told me to keep her on the special food he sent, that it was something she ingested, so I'm going to stay home with her and play it by ear... but for the first time in a week, she hopped up on my bed and is taking a nap, so I hope we're past the crisis! :-) Again, thank you, ***** ***** a great weekend!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do suspect toxins as well here but unfortunately as brain lesions can cause waxing and waning signs (especially with inflammation), the time frame doesn't exclude them. So, we do just need to keep her safe from harmful chemicals but do keep an eye generally; especially since the only way to check brain issues would be to have an MRI (a bit much if she is feeling better).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Good point... and at age 10, you never know. Thanks!

Unfortunately at this age we don't, but fingers crossed Shortcake is on the mend and will refrain from giving us any more scares for a good wee while.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian