Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female husky is not herself she is lethargic and licking

Customer Question
her stomach her nipples are...
My female husky is not herself she is lethargic and licking her stomach her nipples are swollen and she will not got outside to go pee and the lower area of her belly around the vaginal area is swollen and firm. Do u have any ideas what could be wrong with her ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share pictures of the vulvar area?
2) Is she spayed or intact?
3) If she's intact, when was her last heat cycle?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

5) Any accidents in the house?

She is intact her last heat cycle, was in April,no vomiting or diarrhea and no accident s in the house. She did she go out side to pee this morning thank the Lord. I have two other Huskies her sister Freya and my six year old male he is neutered.at least I hope it took, he was a pup when he was fixed. She has not been out of our site ever we do not let them out without my fiancee or I being there. She seems a little better this morning but still not herself and she is still licking her nipples and. Belly area near the vulva area

Thank you for the additional information. I apologize for the delay.

The pictures don't convey the swelling, though I suspect this may be due to the density of her coat. If she's feeling unwell, licking her nipples, her vulva is swollen and she's been avoiding urination, I am concerned this may be presentation for a urinary tract infection. It's common for dogs to avoid urinating until they must go and may lick their lower abdomen due to discomfort. I would urge you to schedule a visit for her with your vet. During this visit, they will likely want to collect a urine sample so try to keep her from expressing her bladder before she goes in to the clinic for her exam. Treatment will be reflective of what is found on examination. If this is a UTI, a course of antibiotics and pain medication will likely be prescribed and she should begin to show improvements within 24 hours of starting the medications.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Kyia today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse