Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 year old pure Siberian husky. Her visits to the

Customer Question
vet have always been good...
I have a 12 year old pure Siberian husky. Her visits to the vet have always been good. But as of the past couple of months, she has a couple of patches on her body where she has lost hair. It isn't like shedding. It is down to the skin. Is this normal because of her age or do I need to get her to a vet??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Is this an itchy condition for your dog?
2. Does the exposed skin look normal or inflamed?
3. Where are the areas of hair loss, perhaps on the abdomen, one on each side roughly in the same position?

She doesn't seem to be itchy. It looks normal. There are two patches of that hair loss both about 3 inches long and 1 and a half inch wide. One is on her lower back and one is kind of near her stomach on the right side mid body.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If your dog's skin looks normal and it is not bothering her in any way then it does not sound so serious, certainly not the likes of scabies or allergic skin disease. The situation is that older dogs can get various skin conditions which can come and go and can be hard to pin down. It may be worth sitting thing out for a while as there is always the chance it may regrow on it's own, you could always have her checked out if the condition is getting worse.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see if I can advise you further about Sadie's skin condition ...

Please get back to me if you would like to talk things over in more depth .

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian