Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Golden has a hot spot on his neck. I've been treating it…

Hello. My Golden has...

Hello. My Golden has a hot spot on his neck. I've been treating it with Betadine and Vetricyln. Its still seeping after 2 days but no longer red. Time to take to the vet or keep on the regime?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Golden's name?

His name is Jackson :) He is a 100 pounds of pure love.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okedok. Also, the hot spot is located under his chin so it's not getting much air when sleeps on it.

So sorry to hear your dog has a hot spot! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time that I have found to be proven to be effective for hot spots but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking or scratching! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on or a sock on that back foot so he can't scratch to prevent him from reaching the area and causing further trauma

2.) Trim the hair around the wound but please minimize the use of scissors near the skin risking possibly cutting the skin

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. Betadine diluted is also fine to use but some dogs can have an irritation to this product

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can use the vetericin to the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may initially cause mild sedation

7.) If this is a hot spot then you can use Dom Boro which is available at your local pharmacy over the counter. It is a tablet or salt form that is mixed with water then a towel is placed in the mixture and applied to the area 10 minutes before wiping off and before shampoo. CLICK HERE for more information on hot spots in dogs

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I am online another 10 minutes tonight. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply! Would it be ok to use neosporin as a salve?

I really wouldn't advise using an ointment, it can make this progress

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okedok! Thanks so much.

You are very welcome, as a side note I do see this most frequently when a dog is on purina/ pedigree so if this is the case then you may want to consider a diet change when this is healed

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian