Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

He's a diabetic gets his shot after half hour after he eats

Customer Question

He's a diabetic gets his shot after half hour after he eats at 7:30pm I forgot to give it and then just gave it to him at 9pm. Tomorrow I'm worried about it has to be 12 hours apart correct so I can't give him the shot till 9am? I've been so diligent since he was diagnosed a month ago. How do I get him back on the times of 7:30am & 7:30 pm????
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your guy. It is good that you're trying so hard to be as on time with the every 12 hour injection as possible. That is giving him the best possible control. In saying that, you can go ahead with the next injection tomorrow at 7:30 am. There are many cases where diabetic owners don't stick to the every 12 hour dosing and they can be at a 10 and 14 hour time frame. While not as ideal, it is what it is with their schedules. As long as he eats well tomorrow, I wouldn't blink an eye giving him his next dose of insulin at 7:30 am.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?