How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7575
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 lb Boston gobbled 2 1" candies of chocolate coated

Customer Question

My 18 lb Boston gobbled 2 1" candies of chocolate coated gogi berries about hour ago at friends. Now I'm fretting about it although he seems fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boston terrier
JA: OK. What is the Boston terrier's name and age?
Customer: Loki, 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about loki?
Customer: He had an unknown cause seizure in February... otherwise very healthy & active
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Loki. This ingestion of two (likely dark) chocolate coated Goji berries is definitely a concern in a dog this size. It generally takes 4 - 5 hours for symptoms of chocolate toxicity to develop in a dog, and this can include anything from vomiting and diarrhea, to increased thirst, restlessness, panting and even seizures. Given his history, and his size, it would be best to get him to vomit if he ingested these within the last hour or so. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then get him to your local vet now where they can easily get him to vomit via apomorphine and then monitor him for a few hours. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again - how did you get on with Loki? Did he vomit these candies, or did you get him to your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E