Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 10 month old Irish Wolfhound that leaks urine. I

took him to the vet...
I have a 10 month old Irish Wolfhound that leaks urine. I took him to the vet and although he didn't test positive for infection, we put him on a course of antibiotics. Although there haven't been big puddles, it's intermittent leaking. In most cases, it doesn't smell like urine. Sometimes he licks a lot and sometimes not at all. He is not neutered.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Irish Wolfhound can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Irish Wolfhound's name?
Customer: Clyde
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?
Customer: that's the only issue he has
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2017
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. Most likely it is a sheath infection that is causing some itching/burning and because he is so young, he is having trouble holding his urine. It is less likely(although possible) to be an ectopic ureter. I am going to look up if this is common in Irish Wolfhounds.

So, they are not listed as a breed at an increased risk. There is a high likelihood that the antibiotics will take care of the problem but if it doesn't the next diagnostic step would be a urine culture/bloodwork and possibly an abdominal ultrasound(although it has to be an ultrasonographer that is adept at finding ectopic ureters). Did you just start the antibiotics or are you finished and he is still leaking?

Hi, just checking to see if you have any more questions

Thank you. He finished the antibiotics in May and seemed pretty much dry after that. The vet said his urine seemed diluted, but no infection. It's really intermittent. He doesn't have puss, but sometimes the leaking is cloudy, but not colored. I was concerned about it being an ectopic ureter, but I read the correction statistics are not favorable. I'm having him neutered and having a gastroplexy laparoscopicly in December. Is it possible they can look at his ureters during that procedure?I've heard there's some over the counter medicines that I could try, but not sure which one. Do you have any recommendations?Thank you,

Hi, it would have to be an experienced surgeon to determine if the ureters were in the correct location. You might want to ask about that but I don't think a non specialized practitioner would be able to tell you that. Are you talking OTC for intermittent incontinence? I am not sure of any off hand but there are probably some natural/herbal remedies out there. I am not sure where you are located but we have a little shop that sells all natural stuff for pets and people called Down To Earth. I just looked and they don't have a website but maybe there is something similar near you. If I can be of any more help or if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I will be checking in this weekend periodically.

Thank you for your help. The location I'm taking him for the surgery is Colorado State University school of veterinary medicine. I imagine they are very experienced with all specialties. I was just hoping for something that might help the symptoms in the meantime. Thanks again.

They're among the best! He's definitely in good hands

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian