Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Looking for the dosage of Juniper Berry for a 75lb dog, she

Customer Question
looking for the dosage of...
looking for the dosage of Juniper Berry for a 75lb dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she has been diagnosed with uti but I am holistic so do not want the pills they gave
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: also have collodial silver but think Juniper berry will work better
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: I did take her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a UTI they prescribed pills but she won't take them and I want to remain holistic
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: yes she urinates a lot and it went from blood in the urine to clearin up a little now her urine is just dark and she has increased her drinking
JA: OK. No appetite problems. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gianna 5/16/2009 75lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no alleries or sickness had 3 litters and has been spayed
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

UTI's depending on the severity ( if there is blood, spams making her strain to go in multiple places with very little urine coming out, and what type of bacteria she has in her urine)

Holistic is a great avenue to try, but there are times when western medicine is needed if the infection is severe enough. UTI's are extremely uncomfortable (cramping, dull ache in the lower abdomens and the urge to urinate all the time) and some dogs will not show their pain but it is there nonetheless.

I will do some research on the juniper berry, and you can also add in cranberry chews for dogs (can get online), but keep in mind the oral antibiotics will not only get the infection down but also help her to feel better. Have you tried hiding them in cheese or peanut butter to get them down her?

Juniper berry I have read on acts as a stimulant diuretic - "is said to stimulate diuresis by irritating the kidneys because of strong essential oil so this may not be the best course as we do not want to create more irritation in her urinary tract system and make things worse.

There are also certain bacteria that can cause increase thirst (particularly a Nasty bacterium called e.coli which causes horrible food poisoning in humans. It releases an endo toxin that makes the dogs drink more.

I am researching other holistic therapies we can use in conjunction with the antibiotics

Forskolin

Treatment with forskolin, the main active ingredient in the Asiatic herb Coleus forskohlii, has been shown to increase cAMP levels and reduce the level of intracellular bacteria in the bladders of infected mice, which is thought to occur by stimulating the exocytosis of E. coli-containing vesicles.11 Therefore, in theory, administration of this dried herb could be beneficial in certain cases of recurrent E. coli UTIs that involve a nidus of infection in the bladder wall where antimicrobial therapy may have inadequate penetration.12 Potential side effects to consider are that components of Coleus forskohlii reportedly cause vasodilation, are positive inotropes, and decrease intraocular pressure.13 Although no clinical trials are available to provide information on efficacy, dose, or safety, this herb has been used anecdotally in veterinary medicine, in combination with appropriate antimicrobial therapy, for control of recurrent UTIs.

Methenamine. (100 mg 2x a day )

Methenamine is a urinary antiseptic that is hydrolyzed to formaldehyde and ammonia in acidic environments (pH < 5.5) and has bactericidal activity against E. coli and a variety of other microbes, making it useful to help treat or prevent recurrence of UTIs. It is available as a salt with either mandelic acid or hippuric acid, which act to acidify the urine; additional urine acidifiers may be needed as well. Although this nutraceutical has been used for years in veterinary medicine, studies regarding safety, efficacy, and appropriate dosing for veterinary patients are lacking. Gastrointestinal upset is a reported side effect, and methenamine should be avoided in patients with diseases associated with metabolic acidosis, such as chronic kidney disease. Methenamine is not well tolerated by cats.

Hello are you there?

I would also recommend getting Gianna on a probiotic for dogs as this can help prevent future UTI's and is holistic in approach as well.

In veterinary medicine it is always good to use a multi modal approach treating both holistically and medically as each modality has benefits but when used together we see better results and are making sure to treat the whole dog and not just the problem .

Those seem to be the best supplements to use along with the probiotics to help treat the UTI alongside her anti ( if you have tried different ways of getting Gianna to take the anti and it is really not working call your veterinarian and lets see about switching to a different antibiotic that will be more palatable or easier to hide in something.

I hope this helps with Gianna.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian