Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.
What breed is Neko?
Is Neko spayed?
Has she ever had anal gland issues in the past ?
With the information I have I am going to advise you the best I can.
The symptoms you are describing could be caused by a few conditions
1. Anal glands, which are 2 small glands that sit right inside the anus at the 3 and 9 o clock position: These glands can get impacted or full of fluid which can cause intense discomfort and these dogs will often act like something is biting them back there. Anal glands can also become infected which can cause discomfort as well and the symptoms you are describing.
- A veterinarian visit is recommended to have Neko examined and her glands checked and expressed If need be and if they are infected then getting her on antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications
2. Urinary tract infection of vaginal infection: both of these can cause itching, or pain in that area on dogs. These types of infections are very easily diagnosed on physical exam and with a urinalysis.
- a veterinarian visit is recommended to get her examined and her vulva and urine checked for infection and if found antibiotics and pain medications are needed
3. Back injury or base of tail injury : a soft tissue injury that needs to be diagnosed on exam by your regular veterinarian +/- X-rays of the spine and then pain management is needed
I hope this helps with Neko.
If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.
Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.
I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.
Dr. Meghan Denney