Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My 18 month old pup has been acting very strange all day, we

Customer Question

my 18 month old pup has been acting very strange all day
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pup?
Customer: we came back from a long run this morning, and when we entered the apt, she acted super scared and startled as if someone was in the room, she kept running around the apt looking back and started to hide behind me, even jumped into the shower with me (and she has never done that). when we are in air conditioned storeds she wants to leave the place immediately, and when we just came back to the office, when i took her off the leash she dashed to t he front door
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the pup's name?
Customer: Neko
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Neko?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was shaking a lot this morning, which has subsided, but again is acting strange looking back and her tail fully under her legs afraid of something. I thought it might be something bothering her on her bottom, but when i took her out it didn't seem to be the case, she only peed. She's now lying under the employees table away from me lying down.
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

What breed is Neko?

Is Neko spayed?

Has she ever had anal gland issues in the past ?

With the information I have I am going to advise you the best I can.

The symptoms you are describing could be caused by a few conditions

1. Anal glands, which are 2 small glands that sit right inside the anus at the 3 and 9 o clock position: These glands can get impacted or full of fluid which can cause intense discomfort and these dogs will often act like something is biting them back there. Anal glands can also become infected which can cause discomfort as well and the symptoms you are describing.

- A veterinarian visit is recommended to have Neko examined and her glands checked and expressed If need be and if they are infected then getting her on antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications

2. Urinary tract infection of vaginal infection: both of these can cause itching, or pain in that area on dogs. These types of infections are very easily diagnosed on physical exam and with a urinalysis.

- a veterinarian visit is recommended to get her examined and her vulva and urine checked for infection and if found antibiotics and pain medications are needed

3. Back injury or base of tail injury : a soft tissue injury that needs to be diagnosed on exam by your regular veterinarian +/- X-rays of the spine and then pain management is needed

I hope this helps with Neko.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney