Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

The dogs rear breasts are hard and swollen. There isn't any

Customer Question

The dogs rear breasts are hard and swollen. There isn't any discharge and she is very uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: HEr name is ***** ***** she is 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bubblegum?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Bubblegum has rear breast tissue that is hard and swollen, and seems painful.

Are these lumps hot as well as painful?
Are these lumps growing quickly or slowly?

Possible causes of lumps in this location are mammary tumors, mastitis (mammary gland infection) if she has had a recent heat cycle, or enlarged lymph nodes.

If she is not spayed and had a recent heat cycle and the lumps came up quickly and re hot and painful then mastitis or a mammary gland infection is possible.
But with no discharge mammary tumors or enlarged lymph nodes are possible as well.
Enlarged lymph nodes can be secondary to infection or a lymphatic system cancer called lymphoma.
In dogs mammary cancer incidence is much higher in unspayed dogs. Dogs spayed before their first heat very rarely get mammary tumors. 50% of mammary tumors are benign and removal is curative in dogs. But 50% are malignant and those invade into deep tissues and spread to local lymph nodes, and distant sites including the lungs and liver. Ideally she would be examined soon and if this is a tumor it should be removed before the tumor has a chance to spread.

My recommendation would be to have Bubblegum see her veterinarian to have these lumps checked as soon as possible.

In the meantime don't use a warm compress on these painful swellings. If this is mastitis or a mammary gland infection then applying used tea bags soaked in cool water or cabbage leaves soaked in cool water as a poultice should help her be a little more comfortable until you have her examined.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara