Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate a chunk of possibly fertilizer off the ground. I

Customer Question

My dog ate a chunk of possibly fertilizer off the ground. I tracked down the lawn people and they think it was Miracle grow grass seed pods. It was turquoise-colored chunks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Finn, male, great Pyrenees/Australian Ship mix, 46 pounds, 11 mo old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Great Pyrenees?
Customer: shepherd
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate some concentrated Miracle Grow fertilizer and grass seed pods.

This is a pretty typical fertilizer product with grass seeds, and sometimes fungicides in low levels. I am really pleased to see that there are no herbicides as part of this product.
None of these ingredients are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients.
High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash in this product can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see, but he is a fairly big fellow which will help.

You might not see any symptoms at all from him eating this.
If he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you might want to give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They can be given for several days.
And you can also feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.
That should be all you need to do. And of course keep him away after the yard service people come and you make sure there aren't any residual products on the lawn! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.
If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see his veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.
Please let me know if you have any questions.