Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 35lb mix dog is in kidney failure. His BUN was 143 on

Hi My 35lb mix dog is in kidney failure. His BUN was 143 on Monday. He is in hosp on iv fluids. He is peeing decently, yet he is swelling up. He is getting 75 mg of lasix twice daily. His Bun yesterday was 135. The doctor does not have much hope for him. Anything else that can be done or given?

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Reresa, can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. My initial thought is that he's dealign with the nephrotic syndrome - a particularly severe form of renal failure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will get that tomorrow. I recall the phos being 16 and the cre 10. The phos went down a couple points but the cre stayed the sàme. The only other test was a CBC and the wbc was up to 20 that was last Thur. He is on enrofloxin 75 mg once daily

Thank you. I'll watch for your next post.