Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We just got a 1-2 yr old male terrier mixed. His temperment

Customer Question
We just got a...
We just got a 1-2 yr old male terrier mixed. His temperment is so nice .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog training?
Customer: Sorry, I hit the enter button. We got him from a rescue place so I have no back ground on him. He will not go potty both) outside but just loves to do it in the house. I have been pattling and taking him outside. HELP
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: RUSTY
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about RUSTY?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that sweet Rusty is having trouble with learning the rules of potty training.

I suspect the only thing that he has figured out is that people don't want to see his eliminations. Dogs that were severely reprimanded (abused?) when caught eliminating in the home may learn that this is something people don't want to see, but don't necessarily figure out that the problem is where he is eliminating.

Little dogs can be very difficult to housebreak as they can have accidents in the house and you can easily miss them. The more these occur the more the dog assumes it is fine to do so. In no time a very bad habit has been established.

In most cases by the time owners find evidence that their dog is eliminating in the house training is much more difficult as now we need to retrain them to lose the bad habits and learn new, appropriate behavior so this won't be a quick fix.

You do want to start with a physical examination to make sure all is well physically with him. If he isn't neutered then I highly recommend you have him neutered as hormones and marking behavior in adult, intact male dogs can complicate the matter.

If he's healthy I recommend starting housbreaking all over again, as if he had never been trained. That means he isn't left alone or given free range in the home. Some owners will place a long lead on their dog in the house so you can feel as he tugs on it as he starts to try to leave your sight, and then you can get him out. If you cannot watch him he must be crated or confined in a very small area so that he cannot eliminate at one end and sleep on the other.

Most dogs will give some sort of sign they are going to eliminate, such as pacing or leaving the room you are in to eliminate in private. You'll need to watch him closely and learn his signals.

He should be fed meals and taken out shortly after to a particular area where you want him to go and where his scent from previous eliminations are there to attract him. You may want to collect urine and stool and "mark" the area you want him to go so it smells like him. Make sure to praise him profusely when he does the right thing, and just a sharp "No" and out he goes to the right spot if you catch him making a mistake.

I understand the house has been cleaned but if an odor eliminator like Nature's Recipe wasn't used the scent may still be there and he will be attracted to those areas. I recommend following up by cleaning again any area he went with an odor neutralizer.

Here is a link to a very good write up about housebreaking. It is written for puppy owners but all of the recommendations are appropriate for adults as well: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2421

In the meantime if he is very anxious outdoors then try placing a DAP collar on him. This is a collar impregnated with a soothing pheromone which may help him to relax. See these links for examples and more information:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_6dg5kcrb9j_b?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adap+collar&keywords=dap+collar&ie=UTF8&psrk=DAP+collar

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian