Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our mini dachshund is being treated (3 days) for

Customer Question

our mini dachshund is being treated (3 days) for pancreatitis- liver enzymes levels are off the charts at 2900. came on very suddenly (overnight) we initially didnt think he had ingested anything but we just noticed a mushroom bloom in the yard on the mulch. Vets are treating the symptoms of pancreatitis but if its poisonous mushrooms is that a different treatment
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dachshund ate?
Customer: no. I'm just guessing...he's not responding as quickly as they would like to the medications.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: he's 10 yrs old, been on a raw food diet (which we prepare, chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes) he has a heart murmur.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Some mushrooms are hepatotoxic and will cause acute, severe vomiting +/- diarrhea within 8-24 hours of ingestion. There's often an apparent recovery but return of gastrointestinal signs and evidence of liver failure can be seen in 24-72 hours. Treatment is similar to that of pancreatitis with the addition of drugs designed to prevent/manage liver injury such as N-acetylcysteine, crystalline (sodium or potassium) penicillin G (interferes with enterohepatic recirculation of hepatotoxins), and silibinin and silymarin (extracts of milk thistle). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. He had no symptoms on Sunday evening and Monday morning he was lethargic and a bit wobbly trying to walk. He did not vomit until we saw the vet at 10am monday. she noticed his stomach was "doughy", they did an xray took blood and gave him anti nausea meds and sent us home. that afternoon he was drooling excessively and drinking a lot of water, we took him to emergency blood work says :ALT is 508 & ALP came in at 2900.

Thank you for the additional information. While pancreatitis can certainly elevate liver enzymes, I would be concerned that a primary hepatopathy (liver disorder) exists. Regretfully, those enzymes don't tell us the cause of the liver disorder which requires ultrasounding and needle biopsying of the liver. On a positive note, the elevation of those enzymes doesn't correlate well with the severity of the underlying disease and so although greatly elevated may not indicate a poor prognosis for his recovery. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?