Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dachshunds back leg is dragging since yesterday. There…

My Dachshunds back leg...

My Dachshunds back leg is dragging since yesterday. There doesn't appear to be any injury and no blood. she doesn't seem to be in pain but the leg is suddenly dragging and she can't put much if any weight on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Nothing visible and no sign of trauma.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dachshund's name and age?

Annya, 11 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dachshund's name?

Annya

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dachshund?

Not that i can think of. She does have some fatty cysts on her tummy

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Annya. Has she ever had any similar issues with another leg? Has she ever had back problems? Is she still eating and drinking well?
No issues with the other leg at any time. Her back seems to be good and she is eating and drinking normally.
She doesn't seem to be in any pain with it and when I touch it and move it it doesn't seem to hurt her.
This is again just one rear leg that she's not wanting to walk on. She will walk 3 legged?
She tries. The back left leg just drags but she tries to put weight on it but not very successfully
She's not listless and when my other dog barks at something she tries to go see what it is.
Ok. That is good that she can use the other back leg. In a situation like this, is it an injury to that leg or is it a neurologic situation to that leg. Her breed is notorious for disc issues causing rear leg paralysis. It could be this. Could it be a cruciate injury? This is another consideration. What would be best is a vet exam as they can use their skills and tests to determine what it is. Is this something that needs time and rest? Is it a surgical possibility?
Good point about the disc. She and her sister wriggled into and out of a tight space yesterday and she could have messed up a disc. Would it cause her pain or just impact the nerves that control her leg but without any obvious pain?
A disc may not cause any other obvious pain, unless you are a vet palpating the backnin the right area. A cruciate injury wouldn't cause any real obvious outward discomfort with touching it either.
Should we let her rest today and see if she regains use of the leg? She does seem a bit better than yesterday I think. would an xray reveal an injury to the disc or nerves?
An X-ray most likely wouldn't confirm a disc or cruciate injury. Another day of rest may be the best thing for her. As long as things aren't getting worse, some owners will just use time to see what the end result is.
Sounds good. We'll monitor it today and get her in tomorrow if it doesn't seem to improve.
I'm hoping for the best here.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thanks for the help. This is a good service.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian