Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a chihuahua and he is 5 years old i notice that

Customer Question

hi i have a chihuahua and he is 5 years old i notice that underarm is black i took him to the vet and all they said that it was pigment what can i do for him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: cumberland
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cumberland?
Customer: no he had his check everything is good i ask the vet about his underarms and he told me that it was pigment to protect him to me that did not sound right
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Cumberland's underarm(s) to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. The differentials are benign pigmentation, post-inflammatory pigmentation, and yeast (Malassezia) infection.