Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Both my dogs have come down with vomiting and the runs. The

Customer Question

Both my dogs have come down with vomiting and the runs. The 18 he old collie had it first but now seems to be recovering slowly (it has been 3 days) now my 8 he old patterdale has been sick 8 times in the last 5 hours and is now liv
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your collie eat anything unusual?
Customer: No both dogs are watched carefulky
JA: What is the collie's name?
Customer: Charlie and the patterdale is arti
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: No he seems to be getting better slowly but the patterdale is very lack lustre and not wanting to move
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- So Charlie is no longer vomiting?

2- How much does Arti weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Charlie is no longer vomiting has no interest in food but is drinking and has the runs arti weighs about 4 stone

Friend, the fact that both dogs are showing similar symptoms we need to consider that they could have gotten into something, infections, parasites, etc. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your vet and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You can start Arti on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- For both dogs no food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean them back into their regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter